The individual property owners are responsible for the sidewalk repairs on their property.
The Public Works office offers a cost share for existing Sidewalk and Driveway Approach Program up to $1,000.00 for residential and commercial properties within City limits. The Sidewalk Program can also be used to fill in areas where sidewalks do not exist between existing sidewalks.
There are no income qualifications. However, the work must be completed by the property owner or a licensed contractor. The terms of the Sidewalk Program are as follows:
- All work shall conform to applicable City of Garden City standards and regulations.
- Sidewalks will be a minimum of five feet (5') wide.
- A Building Permit is required by the Building Department prior to construction. The permit will be at no cost to the owner.
- Pre-inspection of the job will be required by Public Works Department before any concrete is placed.
- Concrete will be 3500 psi.
- Property owner agrees to hold City of Garden City harmless for any damage to property due to work activity.
- Property owner is responsible for reseeding, re-sodding, repair/replacement of irrigation systems and/or other landscaping required due to the work.
- Property owner shall be responsible for prompt payment to contractor(s) and/or vendors.
- Curb and gutter construction, if needed, is the responsibility of the City. Preapproval is needed. The City may use the same contractor as the property owner, if such additional work is necessary.
- Handicap ramp material cost is the responsibility of the homeowner, and the construction is the responsibility of the City. Preapproval is needed.
- Within 30 days of receiving proof payment and/or lien waivers, the City shall pay its share to the property owner.
- Work must be completed within 60 days from the date of the Agreement.
Note: Some restrictions may apply. To see if your sidewalk qualifies, please contact the Public Works Office at (620) 276-1260. Public Works office is located at City Hall, 301 N. Eighth Street, 2nd Floor.