Information for Candidates
Term of Office
The City Commission is comprised of five members elected at-large by the public. Candidates receiving the largest and second largest number of votes respectively shall be elected for a four-year term, and the candidate receiving the third largest number of votes respectively shall be elected for a two-year term. Each year, the Commission will select one member to act as Chairperson and have the title of "Mayor."
Members of the City Commission are compensated $5,200 per year. The City Commissioner serving as Mayor is compensated $6,000 per year. Travel expenses are reimbursed according to City policy.
City Commission meeting agenda packets are prepared on Friday afternoons before a Commission meeting. The City Commission agenda is also available on the City's website. Regular meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 1:00 p.m. in City Commission Chambers of the City Administrative Center located at 301 N. 8th Street. When a month has five Tuesdays, the City Commissioner holds a Town Hall Meeting with no agenda other than to hear from residents. The City Commission will convene for a Pre-Meeting prior to each regular meeting at 11:00 a.m. in the Meeting Room of the City Administrative Center unless otherwise noted.
Qualifications for Office & Filing Forms
Qualifications for office and filing forms can be found on the Finney County Clerk's page.
To file, candidates must:
- Sign the Candidate's Declaration of Intention Form; and
- Pay the $10 filing fee and the $50 State of Kansas registration fee. Checks should be made out to the Finney County Clerk.
The Statement of Substantial Interest Form must be completed and returned to the Finney County Clerk's office no later than 10 days after the filing deadline. Instructions for completing the Statement of Substantial Interest can be found at the Kansas Governmental Ethic Commission website. Questions concerning the Statement of Substantial Interest form should be directed to the Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission at (785)296-4219.
The Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission will also provide your campaign treasurer with additional forms to be completed. Additional information can be found at their website. The following is a list of forms and informational handouts you should receive from the Kansas Commission:
- Affidavit of Exemption from filing Receipts and Expenditures Report Form
- Appointment of Treasurer or Candidate Committee Form
- Campaign Finance Act
- Campaign Finance Handbook
- Contribution limitation Chart
- List of Do's and Do Not's for Candidates
- Receipts and Expenditures Report Form
If you have any questions, please contact Finney County Clerk Anita Garcia at (620)272-3524.
For additional information, please see the 2017 Guide for City Candidates on the League of Kansas Municipalities page.
Information About Political Campaign Signs
Political or campaign signs on behalf of candidates for public office or measures on election ballots provided that said signs are subject to the following regulations:
- Said signs may be erected not earlier than sixty (60) days prior to said election and shall be removed within ten (10) days following said election.
- No sign shall be located within or over the public right-of-way.